What is it?
Erectile dysfunction is a condition when a man is unable to attain or maintain the erection for sufficient sexual satisfaction of both partners. While the disease, the sexual act and ejaculation are possible. The cases of erectile dysfunction are more frequent with age and are common for men older than 60 years. The causes of this condition are diverse. In determining the causes of erectile dysfunction are engaged andrologist, urologist, and sexologist. They prescribe treatment according to the specific case of the disease.
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
Depending on the etiology of the condition, there are three basic forms of erectile dysfunction:
1) Psychogenic form: dysfunction caused by stress, depression, neurosis, alcohol or drug intake, psychoactive drugs. In this case, there are no violations of the penis structure and of going through it vessels and nerves. Sexual attraction can be reduced; spontaneous nocturnal erections and saved.
2) Organic form. In this case, dysfunction caused by disturbance of the structure or function of the penis due to pathology of one of the levels:
violation of nerve impulses coming from the brain to the genitals and vice versa; deterioration of blood flow to the penis through the arteries or worsening the outflow from it through the veins; structural changes in male reproductive organs; violation of the process of hormonal regulation.
As a result, the overnight and spontaneous erections disappear and sexual libido is saved.
3) The mixed form: structural pathology leads to stressful situations, whereby sex activity becomes impossible.
Here are the main causes of organic erectile dysfunction:
Diseases of the vessels that carry blood to the penis and providing outflow of blood from him: atherosclerotic deposits in the walls of blood vessels (arteriosclerosis); vasculitis (inflammation of the walls); thrombosis; varicose vein disease is coming from the genitals; changes in the vessel walls, which developed as a result of, or diabetes, or hypertension.
Endocrine diseases and conditions, due to which decreases the level of testosterone in the blood: thyroid disease (see the symptoms of thyroid disease); a pituitary disease that causes testosterone deficiency, or excess production of prolactin; obesity; hypogonadism;
4) Nervous system diseases: multiple sclerosis; cord injury; myelitis; pinching of the spinal cord in the spinal canal – spinal disc biased; a spinal tumor or spinal cord, leading to their infringement;
5) Diseases of male genital organs:
scar fibrosis; Serengeti’s; A scrotal hernia; Peyronie’s disease; the trauma of the penis; the curvature of the penis; operations on organs of the urogenital system; venereal diseases.
Symptoms of erectile dysfunction
The disease can make itself felt at any age but erectile dysfunction symptoms are often seen in men older 35 years.
Psychogenic dysfunction is often for young people. It develops rapidly when sexual intercourse (usually it is preceded by the psychotraumatic situation) suddenly becomes completely impossible, the thought of it accompanied by anxiety disorders or anxiety.
Organic erectile dysfunction tends to develop gradually. It is manifested by the following symptoms:
- the insufficient hardness of penis during intercourse;
- the weakening of erection during sexual intercourse;
- long time to achieve a normal erection;
- the absence of erection during sexual intercourse desire;
- decreased sexual desire; violation of orgasm.
Treatment of erectile dysfunction
An adequate treatment of the disease can only be assigned to by a specialist, after finding out the causes of the condition. So, if the cause is diabetes, it is necessary, after consultation with the endocrinologist, to choose the right glucose-lowering therapy, and to receive treatment by cardiovascular drugs.
If the reason is the varicose of veins, the treatment of erectile dysfunction drugs begins with drugs that tonic veins and only on this background, begins the correction of erectile dysfunction itself. Treatment started immediately when the first symptoms of erectile problems appear are effective at 99%.
If erectile dysfunction is caused by inflammatory diseases of the genital organs, the antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal therapy assigned.
In addition to medical or surgical treatment of erectile dysfunction in men, an important element is a psychotherapy. It will help men to cure or conduct the prevention of psychogenic forms of erectile dysfunction.
Prevention of erectile dysfunction
To prevent the development of erectile dysfunction, you should observe the following rules:
1) sufficient daily levels of physical activity;
2) sports (except for cycling);
3) timely treatment of diseases of the internal organs and urinary system;
4) control blood pressure and blood sugar;
5) rejection of bad habits. So, smoking doubles the risk of erectile dysfunction;
6) maintaining a state of inner harmony: try to ensure the absence of stress, expressed psycho-emotional overload;
7) maintaining a regular sex life, while avoiding excessive sexual intercourse.
To find more information you can at